Tuesday 3 February 2015

The Year In Books 2015 - February

Well it's glorious outside. The sun is streaming through the windows, melting the tiny flurry of snow that we had in St Ives last night. You would have thought that there were three feet drifts, the way the children ran and frolicked in the playground before school. Of course it's all gone now, but Olly did save some and put it in the feezer this morning.


I had hoped to walk the length and breadth of St Ives today, but have been up most of the night with a rotten tum. So I'm sat in repose on the sofa (not too far from the loo), catching up on Broadchurch and Call The Midwife. Broadchurch ended on a rather sinister note. Call The Midwife made me cry with impotent fury. I do that a lot; rage impotently at the world. I rather suspect we all do from time to time.


This month's read is a veritable doorstop of a book. 'The Luminaries' by Eleanor Caton. It's been sat on the shelf for a wee while staring at me, tutting. I also have some new (to me) gardening books, and I quite fancy a little dip into some Ted Hughes poetry. I was listening to Radio 4 on my way back from Bristol, and one of his poems was read out during a regular poetry feature. It gave me a yearning to return to those poems of the pike and the crow.

Last month I read 'H Is For Hawk' by Helen MacDonald. I mention it again because it was rather wonderful. Helen is an experienced falconer, who trains a young Gosshawk, Mabel, following the sudden death of her beloved father. The book is a very raw and honest account of loss. It is beautifully written; intelligent, witty, deeply sad, uplifting and fascinating. It's won an award, but don't let that put you off. I think you'd really enjoy it.

Joining in with Laura

Leanne xx







15 comments:

  1. We had snow too, though t'is melting away now. I may be tempted to read the H is for Hawk book xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm tempted by the H for Hawk book. I liked what you put about not being put off by it having an award. I tend to avoid anything with the slightest bit of hype for a long time. Olly sounds like an extremely sensible boy to freeze some snow. Hope you feel better soon & experience has taught me to always have a hanky when watching Call the Midwife. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope you're feeling better soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad Olly got to enjoy the snow, even if it was for such a short amount of time. I think Broadchurch ends on a sinister note every episode. I enjoyed watching season one because I watched it after it ended, which meant I could binge watch and didn't have to wait painfully from one week to the next. This season is agony. Although I have to say I'm 99% sure I know how it's going to turn out. As for Call the Midwife, yes, it is sad and wonderful and painful and redemptive to watch, all in a one hour episode. It's a fascinating glimpse into the not so distant past, and makes me appreciate the gains that have been made since that time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered why you were commenting on my post when it must have been 3 am where you are. I hope you feel better soon. I just watched the first episode of Broadchurch on Saturday night but that's all I've seen so far. I think we'll watch more this weekend. I feel worried about it, though, like it's going to be horrifically depressing and disturbing. And I say that as a person who is really into murder and mayhem in her books and movies. I'm looking forward to Call the Midwife coming back; I watched the Christmas special a few weeks ago and it's still a very good show, even after several seasons. I wish I could say that for Downton Abbey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like there might be a month of H is for Hawk - it tempts me too. The little cheeky face under the hat made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Leanne. I have never seen Broadchurch or Call the Midwife and haven't read either of the two books you write about. I really need to self educate myself one of these days. I did however dig my heels into Oryx and Crake, a book you mentioned last time. I hope your tummy is better now and maybe you'll get to walk tomorrow. Snow is fun, even the stuff from the freezer. Christina xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you enjoy Oryx and Crake? It's one of a trilogy.....
      xx

      Delete
    2. I am going to read the other two, as soon as I have some audio credits.Do you have an email address?

      Delete
  8. Lovely post. Must read H is for Hawk - I am sure that I will love it. A March treat - February being rather full already!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do so love a nose at other people's bookshelves. I had a flick through "H is for Hawk" at a bookshop the other day, not sure about the deeply sad part though, I try to avoid sad where I can. I'm sorry you've been ill, no fun at all, I do hope you're all better soon. I love, love, love that picture of Olly, and I love that he's saved some snow and put it in the freezer. Come summer he will be the only person in the whole of Cornwall who has some actual snow. We've had hardly a flake here. My fault entirely for buying sledges a couple of years ago, we won't have snow for years now. Get well soon sweetie. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Last weeks Call the Midwife had me sobbing and this weeks made me so glad that we have moved on. It really is an emotional rollercoaster isn't it! So cute that Olly saved some snow! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you have found the perfect recipe to recuperating, I hope you feel better now. I have heard of H is for Hawk and would love to read it perhaps I will hunt it out now. I loved the Luminaries it has a slow start but it is worth persevering with.......

    We still have lots of snow on the ground here but I love the idea of putting some in the freezer for another day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a big poetry fan too. Perfect escapism if you can get a quiet moment to cosy up and have a good read.
    Hope you're feeling better soon. Being ill is rubbish, especially at this time of year when you want to do so many things. Take it easy and look after yourself.
    S x

    ReplyDelete