Thursday 27 June 2013

Verbena Boriensis





I have these all over the garden. It's at this time of year that they suddenly start shooting upwards. They self seed and pop up in funny places. A mecca for pollinators, especially Butterflies. Here in Cornwall, they flower from now until November. They may look fragile, but don't be fooled. They are pretty hardy, and can take a lot of buffeting by the elements. 





 You can grow them from seed, but I have always bought them as small plants. I put them at the back of a border, to add height. They are a there and yet not there plant - they can act as a wafty screen. They make a lovely cut flower and will last for ages in a vase of water. Oh and they smell nice too.

I photgraphed these this morning. They are by my greenhouse, to encourage the pollinators to visit. I loved how the sun seemed to illuminate them. They remain my first gardening love.

Leanne xx

6 comments:

  1. They're very pretty. I hadn't ever had verbenas before this year but I like them; one of them in particular is growing quite lushly in a pot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are wonderful. My neighbour has some and it's always covered in bees. I shall try and squeeze on in somewhere next year I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these verbena bonariensis.I used to have them in my old garden and the nice thing is they spring up everywhere. They arent a nuisance though and the bees and butterflies love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why you love them so much. They look amazing lit by the sun like that. I've never grown them - thanks for the tip. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have this plant in our garden and love it to. I can believe you have it flowering already! We have a gravel garden and it loves setting seed there.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look so beautiful in the sun, I love verbena in every form, but have never grown them from seed. Beautiful xo

    ReplyDelete