Thursday 28 February 2013

Arty Farty


Oh but you're a clever lot, you lovely crafty people. This week I have made peace with the fact that I will never be crafty. And by that I mean that I will never have the talent/patience to be that crafty person. Who was I kidding? I can barely change a light bulb. I annoy myself with my lack of competence with step by step instructions for - well - anything really. It's like a synapsis in my brain never hard wired when it came down to making sense of step 1, step 2 step 3....  

I can bake, but I lack the skill for "refinement." Thank the Lord for the tray bake and children who like flap jacks. I can sort of make cushion covers, but even these are a bit (crap) dodgy. I have a sewing machine installed under the bed. It's been there for several years Yesterday I had the idea of making Olly a duvet cover from one of Alf's old ones....

The process involved in measuring, pinning, cutting etc was STRESSFUL. It was supposed to be a relaxing afternoon. And to top it all, when I actually managed to get to the sewing bit, I noticed that the foot was missing from the machine! It was also made apparent that I definitely need glasses. So yeah cheers thanks a lot....

I need someone to show me. I'm good at that kind of instruction. I call upon crafty friends everywhere. I want to learn how to crochet, because I yearn to make a Granny blanket. I'd love to knit things. My Mum can knit, but says she doesn't have the patience to teach me. There are classes locally, but I have neither the time or the money for them. How did you all start? Was it at your mother's knee? Or was it a book? Was it trial and error? Or did you go to a class?

Should I shall retire gracefully and concentrate on the garden, taking photos and crafting with my boy? He LOVES my pictures....
















Leanne xx

Postscript.

Marc came home with a new camera today. It is very scary. There is an instruction manual (bloody hell). 
Wish me luck!






2 comments:

  1. If I can craft anyone can. Olly must've inherited his creative streak from somewhere! I am a horrible perfectionist and get very cross with any mistake I make, which is not a good way to be. Crochet is much easier than knitting, in my humble opinion. You tube has been a fantastic resource for instructions and tutorials on all manner of things from embroidery to bread making.

    Good luck with the new camera!

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a complete instruction book phone. I love Crochet and maybe my blog may help with some VERY simple tutorials. How do I know they are simple. Because I can do them of course!

    ReplyDelete