Monday 20 November 2017

Blessed




















Blessed.

That's what I've  been lately.

Blessed with fine weather, empty beaches, tideline treasures and skies that go on forever. And I know that people bang on about it all the time, but the light here has been exceptional. Crystal clear. Sharp as a tack. Punching well above its' weight. And with that clarity comes those contrasts of colours that lift the varying hues of blue, brown and green around us.

Sand is not just an expanse of flat colour. It's a myriad of twinkling forms, with each grain vying for attention. The foamy surf beguiles with its' cotton candy tufts that advance up and over our wellies, before retreating into the swirling mass of the ocean. The blue sky seems huge overhead, like a silk parachute rippling ever outwards. I feel enveloped by it all. Not in a manner that can overwhelm, but rather included as a valued member. I feel that I intrinsically belong.

Blessed to belong.

Belonging and blessed.

Last weekend, Olly and I were lucky enough to find By The Wind Sailors and Goose Barnacles on Sennen beach. And a teeny tiny star fish too. The barnacles were attached to a green plastic bottle, discarded by the retreating tide in a rock pool. By The Wind Sailors had likewise been washed up on the strandline. They shimmered in the sunshine. An iridescent blue, that wouldn't have looked out of place at a seventies disco. Olly was fascinated; he doesn't remember seeing them before. There were lots of cuttlefish remnants too. The bit that you sometimes see hanging in bird cages. Watching Planet Earth 2 that evening, we were transfixed by the footage of a cuttlefish in action. How they can bewitch crabs with their undulating colour changes. It was difficult to equate this amazing creature with the bleached white bone on the beach.

This weekend we stomped down into town and headed for harbour beach. Stomped is indeed the word, because Olly really didn't want to go out. His pouting lips and glaring eyes made it quite clear that he would have much rather stayed at home lounging in front of the tv. And maybe I would have let him. I do sometimes. I think he was glad he went. We went hunting for sea glass and pottery shards. He has the best eye out of any of us for it. It is one of the most enjoyable pastimes to be had. Grubbing about at the water's edge, looking for treasures. There's a pile of our spoils on the windowsill in the kitchen. A solid spray of blue, white, green, brown and pattern that we will sometime pop into bowls scattered around the house. Our seaside spoils.

Blessed.

That I am.




I hope that you are all well?


Leanne xx
















7 comments:

  1. Your photos are beautiful, Leanne. I'm so glad you're feeling good about your surroundings and taking the time to enjoy the bounty around you. You sound very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post, and utterly glorious photos. All that blue, all that sparkling water. Glad you are enjoying your seaside living, I know it's something I would love. We like a little beachcombing too, lots of sea glass in bottles round here, mostly from Clevedon and Portishead. Not quite the same! How tall Olly is getting. My youngest too. It must be the season for growing. Have a lovely week lovely. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how much longer we will be able to find sea glass? I was reading that 90 per cent of sea birds have plastic in their stomachs, which is shocking and horrifying. Why don't we go back to glass bottles, ideally with a deposit on them if you return them. Anyone else remember doing that? I have bought a thermos cup for work to take a drink in, instead of keep buying ( plastic ) bottles....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are indeed blessed to live in such a lovely place. And lucky to have such beautiful weather to get out and enjoy it. I love your description of the sea, sand and sky. Makes me long for another Cornish holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing colours! Everything is monochrome where I am.... I really needed to see some blue sky today, thanks for sharing. You sound happy and it is infectious, feeling a little more bouncy already xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!!!!!!!! lovely to catch up with your part of the world - and I'm so glad you're blogging again and sharing it with us. Your writing AND photography bring real joy - especially when you turn that frown upside down. Your boys are indeed blessed to have these memories - and your words to look back on. We are all blessed indeed by these fragments of your life. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fantastic post -sea mixed with blue skies can make you feel so good! Wonderful pictures and thoughts. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete