Tuesday 6 January 2015

Running Up That Hill


Today has really felt like the start of the New Year for me.

Even though the kids and Marc have returned to their various places of work and learning, I have not yet had a chance to stop and smell the coffee. I returned from Bristol at the weekend, and have spent the time since furiously cleaning, tidying, list making, recycling and all those other bitty jobs that rear their heads after an extended holiday.

But this morning I went for a long walk with Honey. It is beautiful in St Ives today. The sun is shining low on the lanes, and the air has that sharp quality about it, which I love. It felt so good to amble up the hill towards Steeple Woods, listening to the birds and looking for signs of Spring. They are already here in the far South West. The start of the Foxglove in the hedgerow. The buds appearing on the trees.

I watched a Mistle Thrush nervously pecking away at a snail. He was being challenged by a very rambunctious Robin who cat-called and flew around him, as he tried to eat his breakfast. There was a Buzzard sat on some telephone lines surveying the fields. His feathers were plumped up against the chill of the morning, but he seemed contented enough to sit and look around him. There were Blackbirds, Sparrows, Blue Tits and many others darting in and out of the hedgerows. They seem very busy all of a sudden. Perhaps they sense Spring is coming too.

Back home I went outside to look at the garden. It has been so badly neglected. I haven't even planted my Spring bulbs yet. It's on the list. I hope I'm not too late. We have some major work to do this year. The decking has gone rotten, and we are building a cabin for some badly needed extra living space. I'm not sure how this will affect the garden, but it's a rather exciting prospect. My garden seems to be in a constant state of renewal. I'm forever moving plants around, rather like I do with the furniture in my house. I dead capricious like that.

Some good news. Dad may be coming home from hospital tomorrow. He has been so poorly over Christmas, with secondary infections delaying treatment. Although he has been terribly weakened by it all, I know that home will be just where he wants to be. And can I say God Bless the NHS, and all who sail in her? We are so lucky to be able to have such a wonderful institution at our disposal. I have been in awe of the care he has received by all the staff of Ward 7.

I can see a pile of ironing in my peripheral vision. It's daring me to ignore it, and sit down with my seed catalogue that's just plopped through the letter box. Maybe just one more cup of coffee from my new mug before I press the shirts?

Have a lovely week gorgeous ones.

Leanne xx





27 comments:

  1. Wonderful news about your dad! I think the catalogue would win over the ironing for me! Suzy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess that the ironing got the better of me Suzy. But at least my evening is free.
      Leanne xx

      Delete
  2. So nice to hear a positive tale about hospital care, and so glad your Dad has benefited from it. Love the mug, it can make all the difference to the taste of the beverage...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. It holds well too, if that makes sense.
      Leanne xx

      Delete
  3. Definitely ignore the ironing in favour of seeds. So pleased your Pa is coming home. NHS staff are marvellous people who work tirelessly. We've had a few hospital experiences over the years to varying degrees of seriousness and they've always been brilliant. Have a lovely week :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good news about your dad. The NHS came up trumps when my sister needed them too.
    A seed brochure arrived here today - and I have put it to the side to read at lunchtime. Sadly it's grey and raining here - maybe your sunshine will blow over to Sussex later?! But I can plan my garden flowers in the meantime.
    Have a great week. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, That's good news about your dad, I like your new mug and yes it's seems strange back to routines after a long break. Enjoy your weekx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm just popping over to you to say hello!
      xx

      Delete
  6. Hi Leanne. I would have loved to join you on your walk! I do as little ironing as possible, school shirts (not the polos!) and work shirts. Absolutely hate it, it is almost as bad as emptying the dishwasher.
    I am glad your dad will be able to go home shortly, home is best. I am also glad he is receiving excellent care. Christina xx

    P.S. I have read the Wasp Factory ages ago and loved it. And no, I have not gotten around to reading Gillespie and I.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad that your Dad is being so well cared for and I hope that he is indeed home soon. I definitely think that you have earned some time with the seed catalogue, so I hope that is what you chose over the ironing! The weather here has been odd today, grey first thing, then masses of rain and now sunshine and blue skies with big grey black clouds going over! I hope that the sun stays shining with you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous mug and great news about your Dad. As someone come lately to your blog may I say how much I am enjoying it and how jealous I am of your living in St Ives, where we have spent some of our happiest times as a family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pleased to hear your Dad can go home. Your walk sounded lovely, just what you need a bit of time with nature, enjoy. very best wishes Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such good news, I bet he's really benefitted from all your love and support as well. I spent the day Spring cleaning and buying daffodils! Our seasons in Cornwall are a bit out of sync with everyone elses but it certainly helped to make me feel positive. I haven't planted any bulbs yet either so shall we take a gamble? Antonia x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad to hear this news about your dad. I'm sure this has been a difficult time for all of you. I have always thought you were fortunate over there to have national healthcare. Things have really gone downhill over here. Actually, in most ways, I think I wish I could live over there. I think your schools are better too. Maybe someday. I'm glad you got out for a nice walk. I may try later on today myself, today is the warmest day we'll have for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seed catalogues are naughty things, deliberately sent to tempt us away from the straight and narrow. Glad to hear your Dad may be coming home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear your Dad is getting home! Take care lovely. The ironing can always wait! Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. A 100 non stop ?! That's incredible!, go Leanne, that's so impressive :) great to hear positive news about your dad xx

    Garden plans are forming with me too but yours sound v exciting. I'm a whimp when it comes to moving plants! Take care and keep enjoying those walks xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad your dad is coming home. I always think that healing happens better at home. I agree with what you say about the health service. We had a relative in hospital for several months last year, and it's so good to know that kind of care is available. Your walk around St Ives sounds wonderful, and no doubt all the lovelier for knowing that order has been imposed back at home. I've been seeing the little birds flitting about our garden too, you have reminded me to make sure I put the nest boxes up that the children made last year. Enjoy the rest of the week Leanne. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is such good news that your dad is coming home! I say sit down with that extra cup of coffee and the seed catalogue. I should be getting my first catalogue in the mail any day now. I love leafing through them, making plans for what I will plant in the garden. If you ever decide to buy that croft in Shetland let me know. I would be happy to go in on the purchase with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It must have been so good running up that hill! Glad to hear your Dad is coming home! I sure being back at home will be good medicine for him. It's not fun being in hospital for a while even when the care is so good. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello again lovely. I do hope that your Dad made it home from hospital yesterday x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Annie,
      Yes he did. I spoke to him earlier. He was drinking his Horlicks and having lots of attention from my sister and her boys!
      Leanne xx

      Delete
  19. wonderful news about your dad, I hope he continues to recover well at home. my viewpoint on housework is that there is always something better to do first, a long walk sounds perfect x

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's so good to see you back here! I am glad your Dad is out of hospital. I realise it's just a step on the road to health, but still it must make the world of difference to you and him.

    Love the Kate Bush reference btw. xx

    ReplyDelete