Tuesday 11 March 2014

Shell Seekers







When I was growing up, most Friday evenings would be spent at Auntie Pam and Uncle Keith's house. They weren't actual relations. Pam was Mum's oldest friend, and my Dad's dance partner. (My Dad was a bit cool in his day. He was a regular on Top Of The Pops in the 60's, dancing on the podiums. His biggest claim to fame is that he quite fancied Cilla Black, and managed to get backstage to ask her out.She told him to jeff off. I digress, but what a claim to fame).

I loved Auntie Pam's house. It was way cooler than ours. They had shag pile carpet, a smoked glass coffee table with chrome legs, a galley kitchen with all the latest mod cons, a Draylon three piece suite, ruched nets at the window and a loft conversion. They went on holiday abroad. They had trailer tent. The wallpaper in her hallway was fabulously swirly. I thought that it was the coolest place ever. Full stop. Auntie Pam always had a different hairstyle. She was as thin as a rake, and smoked non-stop. She was always on trend - maxi skirt, Charlie's Angels jump suit, a shaggy perm...

There was a shell that sat on a side table in the hall. It was a huge conch shell. I was fascinated by it, and had to physically restrain myself from picking it up. You didn't pick up Auntie Pam's ornaments and nick nacks. Auntie Pam wouldn't like it. I imagined that it must have come from abroad, which may as well have been the moon for all I knew of holidaying in warmer climes. We didn't go on holiday until I was at least ten, and the furthest I'd been up until that point was probably a day trip to Weymouth. The shell was exotic. Like a prawn cocktail or vol au vents. I did pick it up once. I cradled it in my arms. I put it to my ear and listened for the far away sea. I accidentally snapped one of the spikes of the shell. It came away in my hand. A horrifying moment.

I haven't seen Auntie Pam since my late teens, and I was very sad to hear that she has become unwell. I wonder if the conch shell still has pride of place in the hallway? I have shells all over the house. It's probably a cliche, considering that I live by the sea. But they find their way into my pocket and into my home. They still fascinate me, even though the ones that get swept up onto the beach are no way near as fabulous as that beautiful conch shell.

I hadn't thought of it in years. Or the fun me and my sister used to have at Auntie Pam's. I had forgotten all about catching grass snakes, playing bumpety bump down the stairs and sipping Tizer from Tupperware beakers. There were Smiley Faces biscuits, scalextrix and Starskey and Hutch on the TV. My memory has been stirred by an idea that I had for a blog post. A post about my love of sea shells. Which has in turn become this post. A snap shot of my childhood. A bundle of memories.

I love that.

Leanne xx



11 comments:

  1. Oooh, I have shivers. I looove posts like this. You're a few years older than I am so my childhood memories are a little different but I love to read anyone's childhood memories. Auntie Pam sounds like quite a lady. I knew a few like her myself. Some were relatives. And how about your dad? My father was at Woodstock, so I have similar hipness associations with him. I have a conch like that in my house now, it came from my husband's family but I have no idea where it originated. Your shells are beautiful. I would enjoy taking a walk and collecting shells with you, Leanne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post Leanne, you have captured it all so beautifully, I can imagine exactly what it was like. You have reminded me that I used to have a collection of shells picked up on holiday when I was little. Probably several came from Cornwall - no abroad for me either. They lived in a cereal box with one of the sides cut off. I had completely forgotten until I read your post. Some lovely periwinkles and exquisite little pink shells and a razor or two and some clams. Oh you have made me wish I lived by the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Aunty Pam sounds like quite a lady! I hope that she gets better soon and that you keep on collecting shells and remembering those wonderful times! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these type of Posts. Childhood memories are so special. We called our close family friends "Aunty" and "Uncle" growing up too and I have the fondest memories of being in their homes with all their things that were different to our things. Aunty Mim had one of those multi-coloured fibre optic lights that changed colours that I used to be obsessed with..... loving your shell pics too, very different to ours, and I love collecting them too :-) Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even now I'm a parent I still find it strange to think of my Mum and Dad as 'real people' with lives before and outside of being my Mum and Dad :-) We also have Aunties who are family friends rather than relatives and so do my girls. What great memories from 'just' thinking about sea shells.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too, love this post. And I love shells. It has brought back so many happy memories. And, your conch shell.... Well maybe not your actual conch shell is here on my stairs in Spain. It was from my mums house x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, sounds like a lovely childhood! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post, your memories tied up with the shells and Auntie Pam, glorious and thought provoking....
    bestest Daisy xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am transported right back into the my childhood! It is a bit creepy actually! My parents were not cool in the classic Seventies style and our home décor compared quite poorly to your Auntie Pam's. I also remember one those big shells, it might have been my grandfathers I think. Thanks for a trip down memory lane Leanne. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic post! I can well imagine why Auntie Pam's house was so attractive, it would certainly have held the same fascination for me. My Grandad has the most amazing huge shells from his travels and I would always want to touch them as a child, and hold them to my ear. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I've loved reading this post, I think we're the same vintage! You've really made me think about my childhood, I had an auntie Dorothy who sounds a bit like your auntie Pam and she was my idol!

    ReplyDelete