Wednesday 31 October 2012

What A Wednesday!




Things I have done today.

Made lists. Baked cakes. Discussed what constitutes a good book with Liz. Took the boys to the park.

Ooooh I love a list. A good list is like a work of art. I always have a 'To Do' list on the go. And now, well, there is the Christmas list. I've asked Sam and Alfie for a Christmas wish list by the end of the week. I know, it's not very magical is it? It's Alfie's first non-believing year proper. I think the penny had dropped last year, but he didn't want to risk it just in case. Thank goodness for Olly, and all the Christmasses to come!!

Today I made coffee and walnut cake, and carrot cake. I have been converted to tray bake cakes thanks to some gorgeous Mary Berry recipes. They are more rustic to look at. A bit scruffy even. But it suits my style of baking. The beauty of a tray bake is that I can cut it into squares and pile them up on my cake stands. Love it.

What does constitute a good book? I love a good character. An author has cracked it for me if even their minor characters are well observed. Which brings me to use of language. Funny, descriptive, emotive. For example one of my book group's recent reads was 'The Woman Who Went To Bed For A Year.' The book had an unsatisfactory ending. However I loved all the characters  - major and minor - and Sue Townsend use of language is genius. I shall say nothing about this month's read - 'The Forgotten Garden' by Kate Morton - apart from this: It's no Sue Townsend.

Bolitho Park in Penzance. In the wind and rain. With scuttlebugs and scooters. And hats. And runny noses. Cold feet. Damp sand. Bright red cheeks. Laughter.

What have you done today?









PS.

I also forgot it was Halloween. Having realised, I dressed Alf and Olly up for the party at the rugby club. Olly was a ghoul. He took one look at himself in the mirror, and cried. An added trauma came in the form of some early treaters. So no party. And one very disgruntled Alfie.

1 comment: