Thursday 25 October 2012

Let It Be




Another lovely day with Olly today, marred only by the comments of complete strangers.

I don't profess to be a fabulous parent. But I do try my best. Some days my best is better than others.

That's okay, right?

I'm only human.

And to err... and all that.

I have shared in my blog all the little things that Olly and I get up to on a day to day basis. Not earth shattering stuff you understand. All within the confines and limits of our home and the town we live in.

I read somewhere that in a child's early years, we help to lay down healthy pathways in their brain by providing a loving and happy environment for them. Or

"Memories that are not remembered, but never forgotten."

So even if Olly doesn't remember the day we made a card for Gramps, and he had to have a second bath because he painted himself (including the old chap).

Or that it was so lovely on Porthmeor today, and the sea looked so inviting, he stripped off and ran right in.

Or in M&S, the Christmas toys were so tantalising he just had to go back three times to look at them, when all Mummy really wanted to do was to buy the pie and go home.

Sometimes the throwaway comments by people that you don't even know you can be very hurtful.

It's times like these that I wish I was my sister.

But.

I'm Not.

I'm me.

Trying my best to not be too Phillip Larkin in my parenting. All too often feeling as if I could have done it all better.

You've been there too?

My hope is that I'm helping him to lay down those not forgotten memories, so that he will grow to be a confident, enthusiastic, happy little boy. And in turn will lay down similar memories for his own children.

Bit of nature.

Bit of nurture.









1 comment:

  1. Hello - thanks for stopping by my blog and for your lovely comment.

    I think all parents feel that we could've done it better, but we only do the best we can and you write about your child with such love that I'm sure you are creating wonderful memories for hi,

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete