Sunday 30 July 2017

Bristol Fashion






















Well hello.

This year, my sister in law and I decided to do something about our idle day dreaming of going into business together. We've spent I don't know how many evenings talking about what we could do over the years, and always drawn a blank. She is a nurse working in primary care, feeling much the same as I did when I was counselling in GP practice; stressed, over worked and under paid. We both wanted to earn a decent amount of money that would put coffers into the pot, but we didn't want to be working all the hours that God sends. I don't want to go back to work full time while Olly is still at primary school, and she wanted to cut her working hours back, now that her children have flown the nest.

We aren't at all crafty. We didn't want to open some kind of shop. We didn't have enough room to upcycle furniture. She's not interested in cooking or baking. I'm not interested in professional car booting. And then we hit upon it. Something that we are both very good at doing indeed. Something that requires an attention to detail, and a love of bleach. We could clean for a living! We've both helped out friends in the holiday trade before, but we felt that we could market ourselves as women of a certain age who know exactly what's required for a ship shape and shiny house. Elbow grease, a beady eye for dust bunnies and an extendable feather duster.

So we sent out feelers, and lucked out with a property management company who were looking for just the kind of thing that we were offering. Apparently good old fashioned cleaning is a dying art. Who knew? St Ives depends for the most part on the visitors that swell our numbers during the summer months. But we are also a year round holiday destination. It costs a lot of money to stay here, and there are some very swanky places that you can stay in. The company that were interested in our services provide swanky places for swanky people. They are also in desperate need of a good quality housekeeping service.

And so this month, Ship Shape Cleaning Services was born. And boy have we hit the ground running! It's been a full on month of learning how design and operate spreadsheets, prepare invoices, engage with laundry companies, florists, wholesalers, designing logos, tallying figures and recording expenses, never mind the actual cleaning itself. Most of our work is on a Friday and Saturday, with some mid week work too. Olly has been enrolled into a Friday holiday club for the summer holidays, something that I agonised over. I felt so guilty about it. But I get the feeling he's going to love it; a lot of his school friends will be there so he won't be all alone. Alf will pick him up for me, and also look after him on a Saturday afternoon, once Marc has gone sailing.

I've just finished processing the invoice for this month. We've assigned ourselves roles within our  partnership, and I'm the one dealing with the money (the irony of a D at Maths O Level is not lost on me right now). I've had to get my remedial head around all sorts of vexing things; tax, expenses, insurance and so on. But it's been good for me too, because I've stepped right outside my comfort zone and tackled stuff that I would never have had the nerve to do even a year ago. I keep seeking out Marc, going over the same set of questions, and he patiently tells me the same set of answers.

Of course the cleaning itself is not a doddle. The pair of us work really hard. We've set very high standards for ourselves, and we pride ourselves on a job well done. Although it's early days, I think that we work well as a team. We clean the bigger properties together, and the smaller ones separately. I tend to clean the bathrooms, while Karen attends to the kitchens. We strip and change the beds together. We also check each others work, so that nothing goes unnoticed (like the piece of jigsaw and single oven chip that I missed under a sofa the other week. Oops). Karen has an obsession with smears, and I get very excited about the aesthetic of the bed linen.

And although we work hard, we also have lots of free time. Karen confesses that she isn't used to it yet, but I relish it because it's entirely guilt free. I've worked hard, and I can use the rest of my time to do all the things I do at home, and other fun stuff as well. It a win/win situation as far as I'm concerned. I'm also happy not to have a full time job, because my voluntary role at the Infant school has stepped up a gear too. I'm now a parent governor, and from September will have overall responsibility of the Infant school library. The governor role has been fascinating, and I've already been involved with some important decision making. The library will be such a wonderful place to be responsible for. I cannot wait to start lunch time reading sessions, poetry writing, introducing the author and all sorts of other activities for the children.

The above photos were taken this morning, in and around the part of St Ives that was once home to locals, but is now mostly holiday cottages and apartments. Traditionally I avoid it during the summer months, but now it's where I earn my bread and butter. I feel a little more connected to it, as I wander these streets with the tools of my trade in a sturdy hessian bag. I'm noticing all those little quirks and quaints that make my home town such a celebrated place to visit. Of course my mood may be quite different at the end of the summer, but right now I'm rather loving being part of the hustle and bustle of town.

How about yourselves? Are you all well?

Leanne xx








17 comments:

  1. Wow! Good for you - what an exciting venture. I'm interested to learn more- the nuts and bolts - how you pitched yourself to the company that hired you - how you priced your labour and if you had a model/framework for what you would do at a location i.e what the cleaning would include. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first sighting of your holiday home is a 'make or break' moment and to think you're part of that is quite a responsibility. Well done on your new venture and best wishes for an exciting and productive summer! And also for a fantastic 'off-duty' summer, too! My own cleaning really doesn't bear close scrutiny, so I admire you both! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant Leanne, very well done you, I'm so pleased that your new business is doing so well. It's great to step outside of your comfort zone sometimes, it can be a real boost to confidence and energy levels I think. And always good to learn all that business stuff. It's a lovely part of town, it must be very satisfying work as well. And great that you have someone you like so much to work with. I'm so pleased for you. The school positions sound great too. Oh to be in charge of a library. I'd be really excited about that as well. I am cheering and waving and sending you a cyber hug. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Lou, I'm very impressed. My own housekeeping skills are a bit hit and miss. I have moments when I put my glasses on (usually only worn for watching TV/driving) and I spot festoons of cobwebs! I'm so glad that you have found something that you enjoy and can fit around the family. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! It sounds as though it is going really well and you sound really happy too which is wonderful! So glad for you. Hope you enjoy all of your new roles a great deal. As for that oven chip, don't worry, they shouldn't have been throwing chips under there anyway should they!! Hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done you, a great idea and it sounds like it's really needed too. It's funny how we always feel guilty booking our children into things that free up our time instead of considering the new opportunities and experiences they will have as a result. I loved all your photos but am sad to think the old cottages aren't homes for local folk anymore xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how exciting! My advice for the mathematically-challenged-looking-after-accounts is to stay on top of everything. Don't leave receipts for months on end, make sure your spreadsheet matches your bank account and keep a back up copy of everything cashbook-related. That way, you'll feel much more in control and being asked a financial question won't throw you into a tailspin. Congratulations on setting your new ship to sail, and may your waters always be calm! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Leanne, that's amazing! I am absolutely delighted and happy for you and Karen. I think I would enjoy your job, too. I spent my teenage years and early twenties cleaning for money. I'd be terrified to start my own business. The photos of St. Yves look really nice, I particularly love the shot through the window, showing a beautiful crochet blanket. Have a wonderful week, my friend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woop woop you did it! Found your niche and had the courage to go for it. I'm so happy that this has brought so many rewards, well done for making your life what you want it to be xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you - glad it is working out. And so pleased to see you back blogging. I have missed you. Your photographs make me long to return to Cornwall. X Doris

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a brilliant idea, Leanne! A job you enjoy doing, working with someone you like spending time with, and for the most part being your own boss. Your pictures are wonderful, and make me feel so excited to see it for myself next month. Of course, then I will turn into one of the dreaded tourists. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Leanne on your new venture, what a wonderful thing to do and satisfying too, so pleased for you, and glad to see you back blogging, I follow you on insta but its nice to see your pictures on here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You wouldn't be free right now I suppose. My house full of triplets and their parents have just departed and it looks like a bombs hit! Seriously, really pleased to hear your news, all sounds perfect. Good that you get plenty of time too with the family. B xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so excited for you, Leanne! Your new venture sounds awesome and you seem very upbeat and excited about everything you're doing right now. I'm so happy for you. I think you're going to be perfect at that library position, how cool. I can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well I'm incredibly late to the ship shape party! Big congrats to you and Karen, it sounds absolutely perfect. X

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great name for your cleaning company. I am so impressed at what you and your sister in law have achieved in such a short space of time. You must both get such a sense of satisfaction on a job well done, which has been sadly missing in working in the NHS lately. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant, what stars you are! How exciting, and best of luck. What a great thing to have kicked off! Once the school year is started I'm going to get myself re-self-employed; I'm a bit terrified as well as excited so reading of your experience is most heartening. I'm terrible at cleaning, though; unless what I start with is absolutely filthy then I can go on for hours and achieve no noticeable effect.
    BTW I used to read your blog and then found you on instagram when you had a blogging break, so I'm jessiejessyg on there :)

    ReplyDelete