Wednesday 26 March 2014

Round Our Way

When the skies are grey and there is a chance of rain, Olly and I walk a circular route around our local area. For some fresh air and a stretch of the legs. We pick Dandelion and Dock leaves for Beryl and Jean. The girls love their greens. There is lots to see and do on our walk, which invariably ends at my sister in law's house. If she's in we stop for a coffee and a chin wag. If she's out or at work we stop and say hello to the menagerie wandering around her garden.




 The route takes us up the road from our house, turning left by the rugby club, along a pathway that meanders through a housing estate, past the church and it's nature reserve and towards Hellesvean. In the summer we carry on through the fields and out onto the cliffs. I look forward to that, because it takes us past the most wonderful vegetable garden, and along a track surrounded by wild flower hedges festooned with bees and butterflies.




 I love to have a surreptitious glance in gardens and windows. To see the plants on offer. To catch a glimpse of an ornament or piece of pottery. I am such a nosey parker! There are many old buildings, which were probably once tenant farm houses. There is The Witches House, the Old Rectory and the house with the immaculate lawn. There is Olly's favourite house whose garden is full of pink flamingo ornaments, and a dog that sometimes sits by the gate looking forlorn. There is my favourite, which has the most beautiful Camellia in bloom.





It is a great walk to do with a little one, as the path allows for whirligig running. Honey can be let off the lead to sniff about and run after Pops. I can watch them both, relaxed in the knowledge that there is no danger from passing traffic. We look at leaves, pick up sticks with lichen still attached and listen to bird song. We accidentally startle two doves from their flirting, and get accosted by a territorial Robin who shouts at us from his perch while bobbing his body up and down. I try and remember the names of the wild plants and flowers, and list them for Olly. I'm sure that he is non-plussed by this information, but he does like stopping and inspecting. That will do for me.
 I


It's good to get out, even if it is only for a little while.

Leanne xx

13 comments:

  1. Yay, you really ARE a girl after my own heart! I want to go on that walk with you and see those gorgeous celandines and feel the wind in my hair, watching a little one running for the sheer joy of being outside. A lovely post Leanne... keep your chin up ...and your honesty, it shines through every word. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even when it's miserable outside a walk is always a great thing to clear the head. Hope you're feeling better Leanne. Take care, Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think dog walking is such a nice activity - time to properly look at the area in which you live and very social too judging by that friendly turkey. I'd love to do it but I'm not sure I'd look quite right walking a cat though! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that turkey, I hope it is not someone's Christmas dinner! I love peeking into other people's gardens (and houses) but around here, often there are high walls which make it difficult. I do sometimes hop up and down madly to have a good view. Take care. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely walk! I like looking in peoples gardens too, to admire them or get ideas or just to be nosey!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the print of your dress/tunic/skirt (?). wjhat a lovely walk. I love looking in people's gardens (and houses) I'm so nosy! I find we all get on together much better if we get some fresh air :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for taking us along on your walk! How nice that your sister-in-law is so close by, and you can pop in for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love talking walks with you because you live in a beautiful and interesting place so different from where I live. I think it's really nice that you're able to stop by to see your sister-in-law sometimes, it must be nice to have them nearby and to be friends with them too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes I like to nosey around too, its all just too exciting. It looks like such a pretty walk and I can completely see the attraction xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dog walking and child walking is great fun and an excellent way to get out in the fresh air, whether you want to or not, and to get to know your neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful walk. I absolutely love nosing into people's gardens as well. I saw the most beautiful camellia today, it was huge and smothered in such exotic looking flowers. I need to be a bit braver and take more photos of these things I think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those short-ish, circular walks are invaluable. We have one that goes through the park and playground and home again, many a Sunday afternoon witching hour has been averted by doing that loop.

    I'm intrigued - the building called The Witches House - how did it get that name?! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. so want to come and live by you x

    ReplyDelete