Friday 14 February 2014

Indoors

I sit here listening to the wind howling in a rather ferocious manner. It has been growing in strength throughout the morning. Driving along the back road to the supermarket was fraught as I navigated flooded roads, torrential rain and gale force winds.  I can only imagine what it must be like for people living in Somerset and elsewhere at the moment. I don't know how I'd cope if my little house had been flooded. It must be truly awful.

Like many others, I have spent a lot of time indoors. We get out when we can, but for most part we have been quietly going about our business inside, while outside the elements do their worse. I read Gillian's post with interest last week. I concur that our house isn't particularly glamorous or swish. There are scuff marks on the floors and hand prints on the walls. The upstairs loo has a crack in the top and our sofas have two holes in the seats and collapsed arms and back thanks to the boys and their vaulting antics. But it is a home. One which I appreciate all the more during these wild weather days.


Although the children have plenty of writing implements, Marc and I are forever wandering around the house looking for a pen or pencil. So a couple of weeks ago I turned these obsolete mugs into pen holders. I bought the mushroom mug from Cath Kidston several months ago, but find it too big for a brew. The other one is an Orla Kiely mug that I bought several years ago when Sainsbury's had a range of her stuff. Not an original idea, I know, but it has made me very happy indeed.


Alfie has given Olly a box of Lego, and he has been spending his time inside time making and creating an imaginary world for himself. Yesterday he spent the day occupied in this way. I love listening to the conversations his characters and contraptions have. The complicated plots. The heroes and villains. The imaginative play. I am transported back to my own childhood and the hours I spent in front of the fire playing with Lego on a rainy day.


My new duvet cover. In the clearance section of my local supermarket. A total bargain. I love the smoky blue and the floral pattern. It is a pleasure to crawl into at night. My bedroom is a haven of female calm in this male dominated household. I like that it is kind of girly. Not too girly. But girly enough for me.

I have been reading a lot. Novels mainly. I have treated myself to Andrew Wyeth's autobiography. I adore his work, so this is one to savour. Helen Dunmore has a new novel out. I always buy her novels in hardback. She is probably my favourite British comtemporary author. I have heard rumours that she is to visit our Junior school soon, and I hope to meet and get this signed by her.
 ............................

Thank you to everyone who offered support and advice on Olly's night terrors. They were all so appreciated. He has had another one since writing the post, but this time I sat with him quietly and just made sure that he didn't come to any harm. It was hard to just be with him, but I felt that maybe I was exacerbating the whole situation by trying to try soothe, cuddle and offering a drink. The terrors didn't last as long, and after about five minutes he snuggled himself back down again into a restful slumber. So I think I shall try this again.

Have a lovely weekend, inside or out. 

Leanne xx

12 comments:

  1. I am glad Olly settled so quickly last time he had a night terror. The winds are howling here, too, but we have been spared the worst storms, for which I am grateful because we always seem to loose roof tiles and parts of the trampoline in this exposed place of ours. I have been neglecting the house and have enjoyed listening to novels whilst knitting, and I have been listening to my little boys playing with their dinosaurs and cars. James and Alistair learnt late in their lives what play is and it is just great to hear and see them play. Have a great weekend Leanne, hopefully the weather will allow some outdoor fun. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully this means the night terrors will subside soon. Your new duvet set is beautiful. I love having new bedding. Even very freshly washed bedding is a luxury to me. I hope you all stay warm, dry and safe at home this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The weather is worse still today I think. Like you, I am counting my blessings that I have a safe, warm, dry home. Lego is big here too, along with happy imaginative games. I love to watch and listen. I hope you have a good weekend Leanne. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops not sure what happened to my earlier comment, either I deleted it or the electricity flickered for a moment. Was just going to say how much I love Helen Dunmore as well, great character writing and someone I always look forward to reading. My favourite book of hers, is Burning Bright which is full of escapism. Have a good weekend, and lovely half-term x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds so awful out there at the moment! I'm so fed up with all this rain, but like you am grateful our little home is safe and dry. I love those mugs, they make great pen holders. Have a lovely weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that you are staying safe and warm and dry as it sounds as though you had an awful journey out. I love your mushroom mug turned pen pot!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pleased to hear they the quiet soothing approach worked, long may it last. Yes these floods are causing such havoc I don't know how people are coping with it, we are so blessed to be ok. I hope things improve soon. Love the mug transition and yes isn't it funny that will a gazillion pens in the house we can never find one, so a great idea!! Emjoy your time indoors, we have a week off school now so in sure there will be heaps of that. Sending much love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. After the horrible winter you in the UK have had to endure I think you deserve the best spring ever. Hopefully the sun comes out, the wind stops blowing, and you and Olly can get out every day for some fresh air adventures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading a lot sounds perfect for this weather ... and you'll love the Wyeth (I'm a huge fan of his work too). Hope you're keeping warm and dry on this gloomy Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. bad weather seems fitting to a good book! so glad you have been flood free x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read this post last week on my phone and forgot to comment - anyway, hello! Oh what Angus wouldn't do for some of that Lego! He is Lego obsessed right now. Very nice bedding - nice bedding is essential. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just thought I'd let you know that I've sent one of my favourite bloggers, Steph over at Curlew Country http://curlewcountry.blogspot.co.uk/ over to your blog. Reading both blogs and seeing your love of gardening, the outdoors, Cornwall and vintage bits and bobs I thought you might find a kindred spirit!

    ReplyDelete