Wednesday 4 July 2012

Wild Thing

I am smitten by wild flowers. They line my route from St Ives to Penzance, and the back road through Lelant. I am surrounded by them when I take Honey for a walk to Towednack or the long short walk around Clodgy Point. They lay in drifts along the footpaths down to the cliffs and sea.

Inspired by a Sarah Raven series, I endeavoured to plant two patches of wild flower and meadow seeds, to attract and feed bees, butterflies and other pollinating insects.

It's all about to erupt.

Just wait and see....



While I have been waiting for my wild plots to grow and mature, I have started looking at wild flowers with a new eye. I go out with my wild flower book, and have become almost evangelical in looking up and committing names of plants and flowers to memory.

There are so many out there. They are so beautiful. Either as a whole mass of swaying loveliness, that literally sing with the noise from insects gorging on nectar. Inspect one close up. I can't imagine you'll fail to be awed by the intricate beauty of something so "common" as cow parsley or clover.
















Even though the weather is rubbish, pull your wellies on and have a look for yourself.

3 comments: